Re: Imaging a "live" system

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 17:26:30 PDT

    On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 11:54:48AM -0700, Kohlenberg, Toby wrote:
    > The problem I have yet to hear a decent solution for is how to get a
    > dump of what is in memory off a running system when you don't
    > necessarily have root control over the system.

    Yikes; this is a difficult situation. /dev/kmem and /dev/mem on the
    machines I've seen are always restricted to root-only access. Any user
    process that tries to access memory will fail.

    So, I think you are stuck either getting the root password, or cracking
    root through a vulnerability.

    One other possibility that comes to mind is the sleep state or software
    suspend state available in some operating systems. If you can throw the
    machine into this state somehow, it will save much or all of its state
    to hard drive where analysis is going to be easier.

    Some machines have interactive debugging turned on for their kernels.
    You could hit some magic key sequence, depending upon the debugger, and
    gain quick and easy access to the kernel. I don't know if Solaris has
    one, but if the free software versions are any indication of
    availability, it won't be available by default -- someone has to take an
    explicit action to get this kernel installed, and if you are asking to
    make an image of the system without root password, I'd wager you don't
    have access to a kernel debugger either. :(

    One final possibility is hardware-level access. If you could insert
    probes into the memory lines, you could read keys that way. I seem to
    recall reading about an MIT student who did something similar to unclock
    the X-Box. It might be more than you care to deal with. :)

    Good luck Toby

    --
    http://www.wirex.com/