Re: need further help with break in

From: Scott Nursten (scottnat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 02:18:06 PDT

    Not only that, one thing that should've been done _before_ powering off was
    a lsof -i. This would've given you the IP of the attacking machine which
    _could_ of further aided in the investigation. Bu that's in the past now,
    so, fresh install of OBSD3.1 somewhere else and run AIDE or Tripwire on /
    (or use md5sums etc) and verify which files have changed. Straight off the
    bat I can safely say that I _don't_ like:

    * Anything in */[s]bin/* that has changed / been accessed that you are
    unsure of
    * Same goes for /etc/* (esp. Master.passwd etc)
    * Check any of the .history files etc.

    HTH,

    Scott