Re: DD -> Netcat NT Imaging

From: Brian Carrier (bcarrierat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 09:52:46 PDT

    Ian Macdonald (Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 12:11:06PM -0400):

    > One problem I issue I have is I get this error /usr/local/task/bin/fls: read
    > block read error (8192@2148171776):Success
    > which makes me think I that I am not closing the connection properly. How do
    > people end the netcat session once the DD has reported all the data blocks
    > that it has read?

    If dd reported now many records in and out it performed, then you
    can close the session by just doing a control-c.  You can also use
    the '-w' flag on the send side of nc to set a timeout and the
    connection will close after not getting any data for X seconds (it
    is broken on the windows version though):

    	dd if=/dev/XYZ | nc -w 5 10.0.0.1 9000

    You can also verify the size of the image by going to 'File System
    Details' in Autopsy and multiplying the number of fragments and the
    fragment size.  That should be the same size as your image.

    It maybe just coincidence, but the byte offset in your error is
    around the 2GB large file limit.  Did your server support large
    files?

    > Also I see a lot of files that are in red which means that they are deleted
    > but I all the files have a zero inode. Is it possible to recover deleted
    > files from a solaris partition?

    Solaris sets the inode pointer in the directory entry structures to 0
    when it deletes a file.  So, there is no mapping between the file name
    and the inode structure.  The inode structure itself has a bunch of
    fields zeroed, so it would do little good anyway (except give you the
    time it was deleted).

    brian