Re: DD -> Netcat NT Imaging

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 11:24:25 PDT

    On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 12:11:06PM -0400, Ian Macdonald wrote:
    > which makes me think I that I am not closing the connection properly. How do
    > people end the netcat session once the DD has reported all the data blocks
    > that it has read?

    Netcat automatically closes the connection when it runs out of data to
    read.

    So, a command such as: dd if=/dev/hda7 | nc host port
    will automatically shutdown its end of the connection when it runs out
    of data -- the receiving end of the netcat will write its file to disk
    until it notices the other endpoint has closed its end of the
    connection. Then the receiver will tear down its end.

    No manual closing is required.

    (And yes, I did this twice yesterday, no problems. :)

    --
    http://sardonix.org/