RE: Question about brute forcing EFS...

From: Eoghan Casey (eoghan.caseyat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 14:23:43 PDT

    Ed,

    I have tried this on Windows XP in a lab setting and it does not work.
    Specifically, I used ntpasswd to change the account password and then
    booted the machine. The encrypted files were not accessible. If I recall
    correctly from my reading of the W2K resource kit, a user's password is
    used to encrypt their private key. Changing the password using ntpasswd
    undermines this process.

    I am suprised that it would work on a Windows 2000 machine - can you
    explain specifically what you did so that I can replicate it?

    Thanks,

    Eoghan