RE: The Art of Unspoofing

From: John Fitzgerald (john@match-fit.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 08:33:28 PDT

    I think that some DNS implementations and a Operating Systems (certainly
    Windows) ignore the Max TTL and impose their own TTL on cached matches.
    I suspect that this sort of forensic may be an interesting additional
    tool but a large amount of spoofed traffic won't be unspoofable because
    1. The DNS info is cached for popular sites so the target doesn't see
    the DNS query
    2. The attacker uses a random starting TTL
    3. There's simply too much traffic to make the connection

    I'd love to see ISPs policing their own traffic - it would be relatively
    easy for them to validate the source IP at the point of ingress from the
    customer (they must know the range of valid IP Addresses because they
    have to route traffic there - there may be the odd customer that is also
    a BGP transit but special arrangements can be made). It's harder to test
    source IP Addresses once you get to transit links, although it's not
    impossible as the peering agreements should indicate the range of IP
    Addresses that will be coming from that network (you can use the BGP
    routing tables, in reverse) but this isn't a feature of current network
    hardware so it could only be managed by some form of out-of-band
    monitoring.

    Of course, many ISPs charge based on traffic throughput so it may not be
    in their best interests to impose such limitations.

    Maybe if an ISP ever does get prosecuted for allowing spoofed traffic to
    be generated we might see things change