RE: Was the HD formatted? (under Win95)

From: InfoEmergencias - Luis Gómez (lgomezat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 15:06:49 PDT

    Hi all!

    First, I wanna thank you very much for all the feedback I got. I'll try
    to answer to all the interesting points...

    ----------------------- Robinson, Sonja
    > Reformat doesn't necessarily mean "wipe"  - it still leaves some info
    > espcially if your drive partitions are different.  I'm not familiar with
    > your particular tool.  Sorry. Someone else willprobably be able to help you
    > out.

    It had an only partition, and it still has it. The info has not been
    wiped, of course, in fact we already undeleted it. However we've come to
    many files being corrupt, I guess it's because of people booting that
    disk as slave in another Win machine.

    > This is what I did:
    > Using a regular hex editor you should be able to tell if the drive was
    > reformatted by looking at how things were written to the bits.  I.e. FF or
    > 00, etc.  Also there should be other residual info floating around on the
    > drive.  Had similar thing occur a number of times within the last few
    > months.  I used encase for the analysis which worked pretty well.  Also,
    > check to see if there is any wiping signature froma wiping utility, i.e
    > usually has a date and then 00 or FF designating wipe or a similar repeating
    > pattern- however each one is different so narrowing down to WHICH one is
    > hard.

    As I said there's been no wiping, so I guess there's nowhere to look for
    a pattern (please, if I'm not getting the point in something, let me
    know!).

    > Hope you have a forensic copy of that drive.  If you've messed with the
    > dates and times by physically writing to the original using whatever
    > tools/analysis or by booting it, your work probably won't be legally
    > admissable if you take it to court.  You've altered the drive and can no
    > longer present the original if you don't have a forensic (bit by bit) copy.
    > Atleast that's how it works inthe US.  Not sure about international laws.

    I do have the copy, don't worry. As soon as the disk came to my hands I
    imaged it via dd, no worries on that...

    ----------------------- End of Robinson message

    ------------------------ Randy Williams
    just a thought, but really its going to depend on the type of format
    they did as to what the timeline looks like..if they did a quick format
    it's going to just mark the files as deleted, which seems to be what
    happened on yours..when you mount the drive (mount -t msdos -o loop
    whatever.dd /mnt/recovery or whatever) ..are ANY files left? ..if not,
    then i'd say it's fairly safe to assume it's been formatted..i dont
    believe that windows keeps any kind of .bash_history or whatever, so
    you're probabaly screwed trying to find a timeline of command
    activity..the other thing you might want to look at is the order that
    the files were deleted, TASK restructures the FAT to look like inodes,
    look and see if theyre deleted in order, ..if EVERYTHING is wiped, then
    you can assume it was a format, because windows wouldnt have allowed
    them to delete files that were fopen()'d ..hope this helps some..
    ---------------------End of randy Williams

    Let's see... As far as I've been able to check in some tests I've done,
    in DOS and Win9x, quick format and "common" format both leave files
    untouched, they just erase the FAT. So it's always possible to recover
    the files, with more or less corruption depending on how much they
    played with the drive after formatting it. The only difference is that
    "normal" formatting checks every HD sector for errors, and quick format
    doesn't (it relies on the table of bad sectors that there is in the disk
    before formatting, just that). But in both cases info is equally
    recoverable.

    I think I already said that there are no files appart from \recycled,
    which IMHO indicates that the drive was later mounted in another Win
    system, and it must have been _that_ system which created that folder.
    In fact, the C-time of C:\recycled is about one week after all the other
    activity, which I think is consistent with my exposition of the facts.

    BTW, as I've said, I don't think that FORMAT deletes files, so they
    don't have any change in their MACtimes. It just wipes the FAT via "raw
    access" (I'm assumming, may be wrong!).

    ---------------------- Brian Carrier
    "Note that in FAT, the access time is only accurate to the day (not
    time), so it will show up in the timeline at 00:00:00 no matter what
    time it was run.  That could be why you do not see it in the final
    pages."

    It's strange, as I do see different times in the timeline. Maybe it's
    some bogus behaviour of TASK when accessing FAT filesystems? (as TCT was
    not initially developed to work upon these filesystems). Dunno...

    "FAT does not care about timezones.  FAT stores the date and time as a
    static value (not a delta as NTFS and UNIX do).  So, you should not
    see a change in times when you change the timezone."

    Didn't know that, thanks!!

    "The above entries correspond to files in a directory that were deleted,
    and the parent directory is not longer around either.  FAT does not
    update any times when a file is deleted, so these times do not mean
    that the files were deleted on Sep 13.  Based on the .CAB and .TMP
    extensions, it could have been from an installation."

    I see... Not sure if I get the point. Let me explain: The file
    _NBOOTNG.STS which appears in the portion of timeline I pasted, almost
    obviously belongs to the C:\windows directory. (see
    http://www.google.com/search?q=wnbootng.sts )
    Mmm... But as there is no FAT, we could say that every directory
    immediately inside the root directory does not exist anymore, so it
    seems what you say is exactly what happens...

    "These are the access times for any accesses on Sep 20.  Are you sure
    the user didn't just try to delete all the files on the system and then
    shutdown (but some where not deleted because the OS had them open)?  If
    the system was formatted, then you would not get the above reference to
    'C:\RECYCLED\INFO2', which appears to be an allocated file.  It is hard
    to say much more w/out the full timeline or image, but I would say that
    they did not format it."

    No way. The drive was obviously formatted, as there are no directories
    like "c:\windows" or "C:\program files". However, you're right in the
    fact about c:\recycled\info2 , it annoys me... Maybe it arrive there
    after the formatting?

    Wow, I've just found out something interesting. Have a look here:
    http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:Tl_VWnOh-H0C:www.bc-raventech.net/tips/software/9598tips2.html+info2+recycled&hl=es&lr=lang_ca|lang_es|lang_fr|lang_en|lang_it&ie=UTF-8
    and here:
    http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:UbA74NDR1xMC:www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/Q_11232021.html+info2+recycled&hl=es&lr=lang_ca|lang_es|lang_fr|lang_en|lang_it&ie=UTF-8

    (sorry, part of the URL are my personal settings for language in Google)

    It seems that info2 and desktop.ini are automatically created into
    c:\recycled . That would explain why they are there after formatting the
    drive. Interesting tip. So they are there for the same reason that tye
    directory c:\recycled exists: they all were created when the disk was
    mounted in another Win machine and it booted (Win booted, not this disk
    which was empty).

    ­-------------------------------- End of Brian Carrier

    Well, I think this is all for now. So what we have is:

    - Windows does not seem to keep up-to-an-hour accurate MACtimes, just
    up-to-one-day . So I have a rather wide margin of error in my timeline.

    - How about MACtimes? How do FAT filesystems behave? I'll try to find
    out...

    I was going to put a lot ot tests I was trying to do creating files,
    formatting them as FAT16, mounting in loopback,
    creating/accessing/modifying/deleting files and later reviewing the file
    via TASK. But I've thought it would be useless. Tomorrow I expect to
    have here a brand new machine, I'll install Win on it and I'll do more
    reliable checks. Then I'll try to tell you what seems to be Win9x
    behaviour about MACtimes, ok?

    So ladies and gentlemen, this is all for now. Again, lots ot thanks to
    all of you for your feedback, and I'll try to inform you as this matter
    goes on.

    Regards from Spain,

    	Pope

    --