Re: More info on dd?

From: Jason Giglio (jgiglioat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 05:18:18 PDT

    > 	However, I could not find any information about the time required
    > for dd to clone a hard disk of 20G, 30G.

    It depends on the speed of the disks.  Note that ATA (IDE) drives in a master-slave configuration are much slower than ATA disks on two different channels, and much slower than SCSI.

    > 	Does any one perform that test before? Can you please share with me
    > the time required there?

    In my experience, imaging a 10GB 5400 RPM ATA drive takes less than an hour with modern hardware.  If you are attempting to compress the resulting image, it will take much much longer.

    --
    Jason Giglio
    Information Technology Coordinator