Re: More info on dd?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 06:30:57 PDT

    On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:26:32 +0800, Ieong Sze Chung Ricci <ricciat_private>  said:

    > 	However, I could not find any information about the time required
    > for dd to clone a hard disk of 20G, 30G.

    This is because there's *so* many variables involved:

    How fast the source and target disks are (both RPM wise and data transfer rate).
    How fast/capable your disk controller is.
    Whether both disks are on one controller or on separate controllers.
    What parameters 'dd' is invoked with, and how they interact with the I/O
    subsystem of your kernel.
    Whether your kernel supports DMA/etc for that hardware config.
    What speed your system is.

    'hdparm -T -t /dev/hda' (change 'hda' as needed to match your drive) will
    give you a quick test of raw disk speed.

    As a rough guideline, several systems I tested here report between 21 and 35
    mbytes/second - so you're looking at roughly 5 to 10 minutes per 10G of disk.
    So figure "under an hour" for everything, including plugging in cables/etc.

    If you're trying to do a 'dd | netcat', then network bandwidth enters
    into it as well, etc etc etc.  Don't try it on a 10mbit line unless you have
    all night.. ;)
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer