RE: More info on dd?

From: Alvin Oga (alvin.secat_private-Consulting.com)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 15:35:37 PDT

    hi ed

    my understanding ..
    	- most ( 99% ) of disk ascess is done by "device drivers"
    	that writes/reads in 512bytes ( sectors )
    	- the device drivers knows where allthe bad blocks are

    	- when using tar, and any other app to write data, the
    	file is written and avoids the 'bad blocks"

    - dd on the other hand, is a bit-level copy, that includes copying
      of "partition" info  to the next drive... which drags along
      the bad block data ...
    	dd if=/dev/hda  of=/dev/hdb

    	( everything including partitions is copied over )

    - but given todays manufacturing technology of disk drive platters,
      i think most people have forgetten about "bad blocks"

    - most people also do NOT use "check for bad block option" on their
      40GB or 6)GB or 100GB drive which can takes 6-10 hrs even on a 1GHz
      machine
    	- not sure what will happen if one didnt do "bad block checking"
    	during formatting right after fdisk'ing

    	- i think, one day, someone will lose a block of data on that one
    	bad block that happen to be bad

    - most apps does NOT write data and read it back ??
    	- that was the job of mke2fsck to format the drive and check it
    	- writes to disk can be 2x faster(?) if it wasnt "verifying"
     	( just asume that the disk controller knows what to do, as opposed
    	( to the application code that writes user data to the disks

    anyway.. so goes my limited understanding ...
    tar(block/sector level apps ) vs dd(bit level apps )  type of apps

    c ya
    alvin