Re: More info on dd?

From: Paul Gillingwater (paulat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 10:31:59 PDT

    Quoting Alvin Oga <alvin.secat_private-Consulting.com>:
    > -- use tar to clone ...  you get a safe copy/clone of the master
    > 	- if you need a inode-by-inode  clone of the master, than
    > 	you have no choice but to use dd and hope that your clone
    > 	does NOT have a bad block

    I think you might wish to reconsider this for forensic purposes.

    Bad blocks are still potentially useful.  If a system really wishes
    to hide information, it can write to a set of blocks, then mark the
    blocks as bad.

    Reference: http://www.phrack.org/show.php?p=59&a=6

    Furthermore, there are tools available to hide data on a disk.

    A further interesting example which even DD might have problems with
    is in my all-time favorite example, in which the Russian spy Hanssen
    wrote software to hide information in extra sectors on a diskette.
    See http://news.findlaw.com/cnn/docs/hanssen/hanssenaff022001.pdf for
    more information.

    *********************************
     Paul Gillingwater, BA, BSc, MBA