Re: More info on dd?

From: Volker Tanger (volker.tangerat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 05:25:48 PDT

    Greetings!

    Alvin Oga wrote:

    > anyway.. so goes my limited understanding ...
    > tar(block/sector level apps ) vs dd(bit level apps )  type of apps

    Ooookay, back to beginnings. We're on "forensics@..." here.
    So you will want to have ALL data you can get a hold on/of.

    Quite some evidence can be hidden in (presumedly) deleted files, etc.
    (see e.g. the current Scan-of-the-Month at
    http://www.honeynet.org/scans/scan24/).

    So for FORENSICS a binary copy is the right choice (e.g.
    http://www.wyae.de/docs/img_dd.php) - whereas for FUNCTIONAL cloning
    other means will be faster and/or more reliable (e.g.
    http://www.wyae.de/docs/img_rsync.php).

    Bye

    Volker Tanger
    IT-Security Consulting