Re: Win32 Port of TAR

From: Kevin.M-CTR.Shannonat_private
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 11:18:32 PST

    This sounds like virus activity.

    Did you consider the possibility that a virus may have wiped the files and
    directories and then wrote over the blocks?  As for the files on root,
    where they all common file extensions like .doc .xls?  A virus may have
    been written to search for those files and secure wipe them.  At least this
    would explain why the normal system files where still present.

    If the file system was FAT/FAT32, you can check out ECFS (Enforcement of
    Critical File Systems) by Winternals (www.winternals.com).  This is a nice
    utility for hashing the files sector by sector based on MD5, 128 bit or
    other hashes.  At least this could tell you if the windows folder is still
    present in the blocks.

    I do have a question though; you stated that "4,096 Bytes in Bad Sectors."
    Shouldn't those bad sectors appear when you list out all of the files based
    on their hash?
    Can a virus mark sectors as bad? Anyone?

    Very nice job of explaining and taking the reader through the incident!

    KMS

    Kevin Shannon, Sr.  Network Administrator DOT/FAA/AVN/
    Lockheed Martin InformationTechnology    http://www.it.lockheedmartin.com/
    Office - 405.954.7134  Email - Kevin.M-ctr.Shannonat_private
    http://avn.faa.gov/

    |         |           "Chris Mawer"    |
    |         |           <chris_mawer@hotm|
    |         |           ail.com>         |
    |         |           11/04/2002 04:20 |
      |       To:       forensicsat_private                                                                                  |
      |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
      |       Subject:  Win32 Port of TAR                                                                                            |

    Hey all,

    Recently came to possession of a 1.98GB Fujitsu internal IDE hard-drive.
    Its
    a little old and creaky, and stopped functioning quite as expected. Every
    time the POST process occurred during bootup, the process would complete,
    but then the dreaded blue screen of death would occur.

    Thus, the user asked me to recover as much as possible and then restructure

    the drive if possible into working format again.

    No problem, mount under Windows 2000 access the drive, hmmn all seems fine
    files arent corrupted.

    c:\>CHKDSK e:
    4,096 Bytes in Bad Sectors. Whoops, wheres that then..hmmn cant find those
    sectors. CHKDSK e: /f didnt do anything either.

    Ok, so I cant find the clusters..[backspace] *cluster*. Never mind, ill tar

    the directories and files on the FAT32 partition and GZIP them, MD% the
    file
    wipe the HH and then restore the files.

    c:\>tar -cvf backup.tar e:\*
    c:\>gzip backup.tar
    c:\>md5sum backup.tar.gz

    Nice little batch file and an hour later, woohoo a 500MB tar/gzip archive
    thatll fit nicely on a recovery CD.

    Come to expand the archive. The gzip program decompresses the original tar
    archive. The tar program deflates into e:\ retaining the original stucture
    of the paths etc. Nice, files expanding CPU usage 100%...(1.33GHz Athlon
    lol).

    Oh. Huh? What the hell?

    c:\>e:
    e:\>ls
    My Documents
    Program Files
    autoexec.bat
    Bootlog.prv
    Bootlog.txt
    Command.com
    Config.sys
    Detlog.txt
    Frunlog.txt
    Io.sys
    Msdos.---
    Msdos.sys
    Netlog.txt

    Well thats sweet. What happened to the WINDOWS folder? What happened to the

    other 20 directories and sub-directories of the project the guy was working

    on? What happened to the other files in the root dir? AAAARRRHHHH!!!

    Ok, not to worry, i have my tarred and gzipped and md5 hashed archive burnt

    to CD-R. Sweet, no sweat start again.

    Nope, same thing.

    Why doesnt the win32 port from unxutils of TAR tar up certain directories?
    The TAR archive is just under the total filesize of the used
    filespace..whats happened? Am i looking at an inability to cover archives
    bigger than 600MB with these ports?

    Ive just landed myself and my guy in some trouble, but he dumped me in it
    first I guess. :))

    Anyone have any ideas? Ive now labelled the disk damaged, so as to avoid
    being used until its integrity can be futher confirmed.

    Thanks, and apologies for the length.

    Chris Mawer
    http://chrismawer.netfirms.com

    Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.