Re: Remote Syslogd

From: Luis Bruno (lbrunoat_private)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 02:21:38 PST

    James Lee Bell wrote:
    > Specifically, won't something along the way end up generating ICMP-host
    > unreachables at some point for every log packet to the phantom logging
    > host?

    The phantom host might just ignore (ie. drop packets silently on the floor)
    53/udp traffic. Use a small computer for that purpose. Then, we won't talk
    about a phantom log host anymore.

    Another thing to remember is that an attacker that sees @192.168.0.200 in
    /etc/syslog.conf and can actually ping(1) or traceroute(1) it might not
    even suspect there is something in the middle collecting packets.

    Cheers,
    Luis Bruno