Re: TCP/UDP Data Streams - Packet Reassembly

From: samuelat_private
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 10:23:09 PST

    No one has mentioned this yet, so here it is:

    Provided that the dump contains the data portion of the TCP PDU (protocol
    data unit) you can extract the traffic that was sent over TCP during a
    connection.  UDP is a stateless protocol and so to have any reassembly
    take place regarding UDP you would have to reconstruct the upper layer
    protocol information and work with that.

    TCP is a connection-oriented protocol and so each PDU is given a sequence
    number.  Time and dates are not normally included in UDP and TCP packets
    and IP almost NEVER uses any sort of dating information.  If you collect
    data, be SURE that you can extract the date information from the upper
    layer protocols (such as SMTP or HTTP) or reliably date your tcpdump.

    Finally, the best place to get technical information on TCP and UDP is to
    look at the associated RFCs (Request for Comments) which define TCP and
    UDP format and behavior.  There is also an excellent book by Siemens which
    talks about TCP and related protocols and gives quick PDU format diagrams
    in the front.  Note that to get the data portion from the tcpdump, you
    must set your snap length to the link-layer MTU or greater and include the
    -X flag in the program. :-)  Ethereal is a very nice program that "knows"
    about upper layers and is free and quite well maintained!  It also has
    plugins for other transport layer protocols such as SCTP.

    Hope this helps some!  I would suggest grabbing and expert on transport
    layer protocols and tapping their mind for some of the finer details
    involved.  Dumps (regardless of program) can be interesting depending on
    the networking context.

    Sam