Re: [tcpdump-workers] TCP/UDP Data Streams - Packet Reassembly

From: Guy Harris (guyat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 11:58:58 PST

    On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 12:08:27AM +0800, Susan Chan Lee wrote:
    > Anyone know where to obtain information of re-assembling TCP/UDP data
    > streams.
    >
    > I mean I have captured data using Tcpdump (i.e. raw data), how to I
    > recombine the data into the orginal word attachment (or like)?

    There's more to it than just "re-assembling TCP/UDP data streams"; as
    you said "word attachment", it sounds as if you're talking about e-mail,
    in which case, for example, reassembling a TCP data stream for an SMTP
    session would give you the SMTP traffic - but you'd have to extract the
    stuff sent with the "DATA" command, and then de-MIMEify it to extract
    the attachments.

    Similarly, for a document downloaded with HTTP, reassembly would give
    you only the HTTP traffic; you'd have to extract the document from that.