RE: CRC32 vd MD5

From: Jason Coombs (jasoncat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 18:39:15 PST

    One more thing -- with respect to forensic analysis conducted in the context
    of information security rather than legal forensics, I care more about
    unpredictability of the algorithm that I'm going to use to analyze bits than
    about anything else. An attacker who knows what my analysis tool looks like
    with certainty can find a way around it -- an attacker who knows that I use
    one of six different tools at any one time and rotate through them randomly
    has only a one in six chance of guessing right and they have zero chance of
    preventing me from using two different tools to analyze the same bits. Also,
    I gain some security through obscurity if I supplement standard hash
    algorithms with algorithms of my own design -- and not because my own
    algorithms are going to be as provably secure/free of collisions, but
    because it is impossible for an attacker to know ahead of time what their
    bits are going to look like when processed by my code unless they first
    obtain a copy of my code.

    This is an appropriate role for security through obscurity; often times
    people think they're getting security through obscurity when in fact they've
    just created one more secret that has to be kept that is relatively easy to
    discover.

    Jason Coombs
    jasoncat_private