RE: CRC32 vd MD5

From: Jason Coombs (jasoncat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 22:05:20 PST

    Forensic procedures need not be standardized in order to be valid. In fact,
    standards of forensic procedure can be harmful when a method is found to
    fool the procedure -- we can show that the procedure as standardized is
    potentially fallible but we can almost never prove that the specifics of the
    case in question constitute an occurrence of exploitation of any such
    fallibility, and this calls into question the sensibility of allowing the
    standard to exist in the first place.

    Do not be fooled by the provability of computer algorithms. Regardless of
    the digital evidence found that appears to match the expectations of a
    particular algorithm or forensic procedure, the events that occur in reality
    do not always correspond to the forensic evidence. This is why we have
    juries and place our trust in them for both civil and criminal court
    proceedings.

    The real questions are:

    1) Will a jury accept computer evidence that is always circumstantial as
    reliable evidence in spite of its inherent fallibility?

    2) Will the judge instruct the jury to question computer evidence more
    thoroughly than they would other types of evidence because it is not as
    reliable? Will the court provide an information security primer to each
    juror before they go into deliberations so that the jurors have the proper
    level of skepticism about what they just witnessed unfold before them in
    court?

    The answers are 1) yes, 2) no; and worse yet is the fact that the inherent
    fallibility of digital evidence is almost never discussed in front of the
    jury even by experts who offer testimony. When it is necessary to argue that
    a virus might have been responsible for the condition of the computer
    evidence as it was found by law enforcement or the opposing party's experts,
    the jury is almost never inclined to believe this argument as reasonable --
    even when it's objectively true.

    There are no checks and balances in practice when it comes to computer
    evidence, there are only two things that protect the accused or
    counterbalance the civil court action brought by the plaintiff for the
    benefit of the defense:

    1) An agreement as to the nature of the conflict -- i.e. plaintiff is suing
    defendant for X because of Y and defendant disputes every element of the
    plaintiff's complaint.

    2) All parties must make themselves understood to the jury -- the defense
    maintains that in spite of what the computer evidence appears to show, the
    following set of circumstances and evidence should cause the jury to
    disregard what the computers have to say and consider more reasonable
    evidence offered for consideration in the case by the defense.

    It's often a waste of time and money to overanalyze computer evidence. In
    the real world a fingerprint lineup doesn't even occur objectively with
    double-blind protections, law enforcement take a latent print from the crime
    scene and direct prints from a suspect and they compare the two. If you've
    ever seen examples of this process unfold in practice, you know that it's
    not hard to see what you're looking for and convince yourself that you would
    be willing to testify that you see a match between the smudge on the latent
    print tape and the suspect's direct print card... But if you were not given
    the two and asked to compare them, if instead you were given a dozen latent
    print samples and a dozen direct print cards and asked to pair them up you'd
    be unable to do so with enough accuracy to allow ANY latent print
    fingerprint evidence into court in the first place.

    We must be extremely careful not to confer objective truth to everything we
    see in computer evidence simply because of the mathematical beauty of the
    machinery and algorithms that make it all possible. Do not think for a
    moment that improving the standards of forensic analysis change the basic
    fact that computers are fallible and they can be compromised and
    reprogrammed in such a way that zero residual evidence of the execution of
    malicious code remains. Anyone who has a working knowledge of the
    vulnerabilities and exploits that occur in practice in the real world of
    computer use has seen ample evidence to convince them to never base truly
    important decisions on computer evidence alone. In many ways one could argue
    that computer evidence should not even be allowed into court as
    circumstantial evidence because the true circumstances of the executable
    program code that controlled the operation of any computer at any point in
    the past is nearly always unknown and unknowable.

    Jason Coombs
    jasoncat_private