RE: CRC32 vd MD5

From: Jason Coombs (jasoncat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 10:41:58 PST

    A well-designed stealth rootkit would be certain to interfere with hash
    verification -- returning the expected hashes of compromised files so as to
    further reduce the chance of detection. The fact that the attacker/rootkit
    author can easily determine in advance what my authentic hashes are supposed
    to be is a legitimate risk in spite of the proven cryptographic safety of
    SHA-1, etc.

    This isn't paranoid, it's simply being aware of threats that exist in spite
    of the perfect cryptography we're all no-doubt using.

    Jason Coombs
    jasoncat_private