Re: IDS and forensics

From: Dave Mitchell (dmitchellat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 14:21:05 PST

    Lee,
      Most IDS's use PCAP to log packets to disk. This can cause a fundamental problem
    when the box has a high load pushed at it. You can either miss packet logging due the
    IO not being able to keep up with the streams, frames lost as the box cannot buffer
    enough to keep up, the disk becoming full, or just the meltdown of the box.

      A nice way to do this for forensics is to log based on multiple criteria such as srcip,
    destip, port, attack, etc. The problem of a PCAP core of most IDSes is that they either
    log everything to disk or nothing. The only IDS I've used that can log only flows that
    you care about to disk and give you an easy method of viewing/exporting them for forensic
    purposes is the Netscreen IDP, since they use a flow based system just like a firewall.
    I'm not sure about the other very high end 100M/1GB+ line rate IDSes out there,
    so I can't tell you if they do it.

    -dave