Re: IDS and forensics

From: Talisker (offthecuffat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 10:37:50 PST

    Hi Carv
    Good one, there is a variety of IDS that will capture packets; including but
    NOT restricted to Snort, SecureNetPro and BlackICE.

    Snort and SecureNetPro will catch the offending packets, though both can
    easily catch all packets if set to do so.  With SecureNetPro you can install
    TCPdump, or you set logging for certain events to include packet dump.  This
    is on a event by event basis, so it can be time consuming getting the
    settings correct. (I could be wrong)

    BlackICE is very cool not only does it retain the offending packet in an
    evidence file but is also has a sliding window where it catches all packets,
    overwriting the older ones in accordance with your settings.  On a busy
    network though you have to get in there quick or have a HUGE drive. BlackICE
    has been end of lifed by ISS replaced by RealSecure, I'm doing their
    advanced course in a few weeks so I can get back to you on how well it does
    packet capture, though I'd be very surprised if any IDS out there didn't at
    least log offending packets.

    For reactive forensics ie you know something is going on and you want to
    catch them in the act then SecureNetPro through it's Linux console will
    allow you to watch live sessions as they materialise great for Hotmail etc.
    Through it's new Windows client is has a pretty cool forensics interface.
    This to me isn't what I call forensics but it does allow you to get to the
    bottom of a problem on a big network.

    At the end of the day though you can't beat (IMHO) Ethereal it has fantastic
    network protocol savvy, though Iris has a nice front end and allows you to
    replay the packets without having to feed them through TCP Replay, say on a
    test network.

    Take care
    -andy

    Taliskers Network Security Tools