IDS and forensics

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 07:34:00 PST

    I'm interested in other's views of network IDS systems
    when looking at incident response and forensics
    activities.

    This comes up from my hands-on dealings w/ IDSs like
    RealSecure and NetProwler.  These systems provide
    alerts, but don't keep the actual packets that
    initiate the alerts.  I've done some research w/
    NetProwler specifically, and haven't been able to find
    any explicit definition or descriptions of the alerts.
     So I'll see an alert for "MS RPC portmapper small
    packets", but I have no way of determining what
    "small" is...and since we do a lot of DCOM on that
    subnet, I'd really like to see what the actual
    contents of the packet are...but can't through
    NetProwler.  I know I could load up snort or tcpdump,
    and do captures that way, but Symantec recently
    announced that it's no longer supporting NetProwler,
    so...

    About a year ago I was working w/ RealSecure and had
    the same issues...couldn't see what the packet
    contents were, nor could I see what the actual details
    of the filter were.  On top of that, the ability to
    create user-defined filters is extremely limited.

    What this leads to is the question of how useful such
    systems are in the face of network forensics.  If the
    packet contents themselves aren't saved in some way,
    but only used to trigger an alert, then how suitable
    are such systems for forensics?  To take a step back,
    if the signatures themselves aren't viewable, and only
    the alert, then how does the admin *really* determine
    what happened?  In most cases, they'd be at the mercy
    of whatever info the IDS console provides.

    Thoughts?

    Carv