Re: MD5 Exploit Database?

From: Barry Irwin (bviat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 21:25:23 PST

    In essence what is needed is sone kind of reliable signature as used by
    Virus scanners to ID viral malware, which may often mutate slightly, but
    still retains an identifyable bit pattern.   Maybe some infpor on the guys
    in AV labs on how to best look for this?

    Failing that, it shouldnt be too difficult to concoct a tool that can look
    at some of the following charataristics and provide a weighted rating of
    possible malware:
     - Filesize ( +- X number of bytes)
    - Magic values ( often these will just be ELF I'm sure)
    - Possibly look at the ELF structure of the file, count number of program,
    headers, and Datasegments.  The DS should be the one that changes when
    people rebuild with new IP's etc.  I've got code somewhere that works out
    checksums for each elf object - possibly match on the elf program segment
    checksum?
    - The good old strings match?

    Barry

    --
    Barry Irwin         bviat_private                    Tel:
    +27214875178