Re: Tracking a (potential) abuser?

From: sr000at_private
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 03:39:32 PST

    On 5 Feb 2003 at 10:25, Ralph Los wrote:

    > for signs of mis-use, abuse, or "hacking".  What I DID find was a student's
    > directory which had *explicit deny* for the administrators group to all
    > rights.  I had to go and "take ownership" to get a view into this student's
    > directory.
    >
    > 	Now, this is as close to a "smoking gun" as I have.  I'm trying to

    This is nothing of the sort.  This could be a user concerned for their privacy
    (regardless of whether they have any legitimate expectation of privacy in the system)
    or one who has played with the permissions out of curiosity.

    You do not say what activities you consider to be 'misuse' or 'hacking'.  Before
    looking, you need to know what activities you are looking for.  Unless the rules for use
    of the system are defined, it is quite possible for a user to be engaged in an activity
    which you consider wrong, but they consider to be legitimate use, and they will have
    obvious grounds for complaint if you accuse them of doing something they had no
    way of knowing was wrong.