Re: The "unplug the cord" dilemma

From: MARLON BORBA (MBORBAat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 07:28:09 PST

    >>> Omar Herrera <oherreraat_private> 27/03/03 11:34 >>>

    >--> My US$ 0,01 here...

    I was looking for documentation available discussing circumstances where
    each of the following approaches is better:

       a) leave the system online/plugged to the network -> online
    investigation

    >--> There is a price here, the risk of more compromise to logs and other logical evidence, as even by natural (trusted) system use logs could be 'rotated' depending on the day/hour of the attack. But could be the only way to collect vital information (e.g. ongoing TCP connections with a tcpdump) if that data is not written to disk (but disk records are prone to tampering!).

       b) unplug the system from network and shutdown -> offline forensics

    >--> The best approach if you are going to examine it "post-mortem", i.e., it is not anymore under attack, but some evidence must be collected while the system is being attacked, e.g. netstat -Aan to show ongoing connections or fuser to see which files are open. Anyway if you suspect there are in-disk evidence this is the best way to secure it (you could collect files and logs in a tamper-proof medium for further examination).

       c) unplug the system from network and unplug from power source ->
    offline forensics

    >--> This option is OK if you are going to investigate physical/electrical damage (e.g. system tampering and/or defective hardware) but obviously no logs, no connections, no corrupted files to examine. But you must choose carefully the moment to shut down the computer, and you must be sure the attack has really ceased and in-disk information has not been tampered before you shut it down, in order to preserve evidences.

    It can be argued that with any of these approaches you potentially loose
    or alter evidence in some way; usually, approach c) is considered best in
    procedures as it freezes the hard disk and makes impossible further
    tampering (network connection information and data in volatile memory not
    written to disk would be lost however). Approach a) is sometimes
    necessary , for example, if there is an incident with a mission critical
    system that cannot be unplugged from the network or shut down (even if
    backups are available, sometimes bringing up a replacement system might
    take just too long or be extremely difficult because of specialized
    hardware availability).

    >--> Agree with your comments.

    I intend to write a paper on the matter including a list of situations
    where each approach is better suited but I want to include as well legal
    implications for each approach (legal requirements from different
    countries are welcome) and also recommended procedures for each approach
    (for example, in an online investigation you might still use trusted
    binaries saved on a floppy or cdrom rather than system binaries; if the
    kernel was tampered with this might be of no use though).

    Finally, I was dreaming of a system which had a kind of ôforensic
    hibernation modeö; currently IÆm not aware of a system with this
    capability (that would preserve memory an network connection sate while
    freezing hard disks and, at the same time, being easy to do forensics on
    it). If there is still no work in progress on this kind of systems I
    would also like to discuss requirements for a standard that would allow
    computer makers to include this capability on computer systems.

    All feedback, comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

    Omar Herrera