Re: The "unplug the cord" dilemma

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 00:33:05 PST

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 07:47:57 CST, Omar Herrera <oherreraat_private>  said:

    >  If taking decision C, could the company argue that by isolating the
    > system it is not failing to perform with due diligence?
    >  Two cases for analysis:
    > 	* A critical system in an airport that controls air traffic

    A case could be made that if that machine wasn't *already* both isolated
    and provided with a high-availability hot-fallover spare, that the company
    wasn't being very diligent.

    Of course, we're talking the FAA here, the same bunch that was still running
    IBM 3083s in production as Y2K approached (the 308x series was produced
    in the 1982-1988 timeframe, so we're talking 12-18 year old mainframes).
    At least those got replaced quicker than the IBM9020's THEY replaced...