Re: Linux, dd, and image file

From: crazytrain (subscribeat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 20:29:20 PST

    Paul

    when you issue the 'mount' command that fails you what is returned in
    /var/log/messages regarding that command?

    Just some random questions until the above is returned;

    You have your NTFS driver compiled into the kernel or as a module?

    Which NTFS driver are you using?  (from NTFS Linux Sourceforge or stock
    RHL 8.0 NTFS driver [same source, but different versions])

    What does 'xxd /ntfs_image_file | less' return, the first 512?

    The image file you created, is it of a logical volume or a physical
    device?  Remember you cannot mount physical image files but you can
    specify the starting offset for the logical volume during mount.

    Right now I'm thinking you're trying to mount an image file of a
    physical disk, but let us know!

    regards,

    farmerdude