RE: looking for EFS weaknesses

From: Netprouk Services (Netproukat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 14:44:34 PDT

    Hi All,
    	Any EFS data can be recovered using the following method even if the
    original encryption key is deleted.

    1. Boot the machine that holds the EFS encrypted data into safe mode
    2. Log on to the machine as the local admin
    3. Take ownership of the EFS Data
    4. Replace the encryption key with the local admin encryption key
    5. Reboot the machine and log on as the local admin
    6. You can now access the EFS data

    As there are a few ways to change the local admin password without knowing
    the original password I think it can be said that in instances where a
    person has physical access to the machine any EFS data held on the physical
    machine must be classed as vulnerable.

    Regards

      Jason Normanton

    Jason Normanton