Re: looking for EFS weaknesses

From: Ryan Smith (RyanSmithat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 29 2003 - 11:09:17 PDT

    ---- Original Message -----
    From: "Tom Bowers" <bowerstat_private>
    To: <ryansmithat_private>; <forensicsat_private>
    Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 8:20 AM
    Subject: Re: looking for EFS weaknesses

    > The weaknesses of W2K EFS are as follows:
    >
    > 1.  The default recovery agent for encrypted files is the W2K
    > Administrator account. Therefore if you can compromise the Administrator
    > account and login as the same you have access to ALL encrypted files.
    > This compromise is very easily accomplished with Peter Nordahl's Linux
    > boot disk. It can be found at:
    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    As someone already pointed out, we will be using a domain admin as the
    recovery agent.  This takes the capability away from the local admin to
    recover encrypted files.  The certificate for the domain admin will be
    stored on a physically secured removable media device.

    > 2.  Elcomsoft has developed a tool that locates and attempts to
    > break/interpret the private keys being used for EFS in a GUI based tool.
    > It can be found at:
    >       http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html#

    From the product information sheet:
    = Known problems and limitations

    - The program can decrypt protected files only if encryption
      keys (at least, some of them) are still exist in the system
      and have not been tampered.
    - If Account Database Key (SYSKEY) is stored on floppy disk, or if
      "Password Startup" option has been set, you should know/have one of the
    following in order to be able to decrypt the files:
      - startup password or startup floppy disk
      - the password of user who encrypted the files
      -the password of Recovery Agent (if one is availbale)
    - If the computer was a part of domain at a time when the files
      were encrypted, you may not be able to decrypt the files in
      some cases.
    Thank you for the tip though, I will be sure to encorporate all these into
    our policy.

    > 3.  Yes both of these solutions require physical access to the affected
    > PC but if we assume a stolen laptop with company proprietory data on
    > it......

    The files for the most part will be stored to a network server with fairly
    secured physical access.  We're debating the policies currently, but I
    believe certificates will be stored in some form of physically secured
    removable media.  So long as policies are followed, these procedures should
    suffice to hinder the previously stated weaknesses, am I correct?

    > When we architected W2K for Wyeth we had high hopes for EFS. They were
    > soon dashed because of the weaknesses listed above and in your email.
    > EFS in XP does not share these weaknesses due to a change in how they
    > handle their key pairs.

    Did Microsoft not make the same corrections to Win2k in a service pack?