RE: DBX with Compression

From: Domingo Montanaro (montanaroat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 07:58:17 PDT

    Hi

    The problem is that these files (DBX) were being used normally by the
    desktop user with Outlook Express. I have tried all the tools available
    (all of them) to view the DBX contents without success.

    Opening the file in a hex editor, I can see the string that I sent you
    and a lot of garbage (like compressed or encrypted data).

    Using the strings command, the only output readable is what I sent to
    the list.

    I’ve tried a lot of different algorithms to decompress the files, and
    nothing. Also I've used the InnerMedia® Unzip Components to do this job
    and the error message is like "Zip file structure invalid".

    Do you know any type of app that does this job? This seems to be some
    kind of Outlook plugin that compress the DBX files and decompress in
    Run-Time.

    And, to get a little more confuse, the headers of this files are totally
    different between them.

    I have no access to the Desktop and I only have the DBX files. The
    headers of the DBX files are (first 10 bytes):

    Inbox.DBX: 7D AE A8 49 5C 4D 2E 1C 4D 4A 4B
    Inobx1.DBX: B7 52 7A 81 7C A5 51 AC 65 40 E0
    Deleted Items.DBX: EF 25 1B 96 C4 E8 DD 20 6D 17 41
    Sent Items.DBX: 52 36 0F DB CC B6 98 5A F8 B7 48

    Thanks for your help,

    Domingo Martin Montanaro Barrales
    Gerente Técnico
    Instituto Brasileiro de Peritos em Comércio Eletrônico e Telemática
    Tel: (11) 3101 - 8283 :: Cel: (11) 9174 - 4146
    http://www.ibpbrasil.com.br :: montanaroat_private
    As informações contidas nesta mensagem são CONFIDENCIAIS e protegidas
    pelo sigilo legal. A divulgação, distribuição ou reprodução do teor
    deste documento depende de autorização do emissor. Caso V. Sa. não seja
    o destinatário, preposto, ou a pessoa responsável pela entrega desta
    mensagem, fica, desde já, notificado que qualquer divulgação,
    distribuição ou reprodução é estritamente proibida, sujeitando-se o
    infrator às sanções legais. Caso esta comunicação tenha sido recebida
    por engano, favor nos avisar imediatamente, respondendo esta mensagem.
    The information contained in this message is CONFIDENTIAL. If the reader
    of this transmittal is not the intended recipient or an agent
    responsible for delivering it, you are hereby notified that you have
    received this communication in error, and that any dissemination,
    distribution, retention or copy of this communication is strictly
    prohibited. In this case, please immediately reply this message to the
    sender.