RE: DBX with Compression

From: Joerg Over Dexia (overat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 12:18:10 PDT

    Am 11:58 07.07.2003 -0300 teilte Domingo Montanaro mir folgendes
    mit:
    ->The problem is that these files (DBX) were being used normally
    by the
    ->desktop user with Outlook Express. I have tried all the tools
    available
    ->(all of them) to view the DBX contents without success.
    ->
    ->Opening the file in a hex editor, I can see the string that I
    sent you
    ->and a lot of garbage (like compressed or encrypted data).
    ->
    ->Using the strings command, the only output readable is what I
    sent to
    ->the list.
    ->
    ->I’ve tried a lot of different algorithms to decompress the
    files, and
    ->nothing. Also I've used the InnerMedia® Unzip Components to do
    this job
    ->and the error message is like "Zip file structure invalid".
    ->
    ->Do you know any type of app that does this job? This seems to
    be some
    ->kind of Outlook plugin that compress the DBX files and
    decompress in
    ->Run-Time.
    <snip>

    I'd rather believe that mails and attachments, among those some
    zipped, have been placed in a .dbx structure. The reason unzip
    fails would be the .dbx hull, then. So you'll have to peel the
    zips out of the dbx structure. You might use a perl Module
    (http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-Box/MANIFEST) for that, or a
    tool like Dbxconv (http://people.freenet.de/ukrebs/dbxconv.html),
    also mind Ansgar Wiechers' post on that topic. I'd believe you
    could then unzip the extracted files.
    Only guessing here, though; never did that myself.

    Greetings, jo