Re: Retrieve deleted data from a mobile phone

From: Stany Vardomskiy (stanyat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 12:30:21 PDT

    On 7 Jul 2003, Martin Meier wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm writting a preliminary stude with the topic: forensic analysis about
    > PDAs and mobils.I try once again to pose the question.
    >
    > Here's my question: is there the possibility to retrieve deleted data
    > (for example a deleted telephone number from the phone book)on a mobile
    > phone (Nokia 7110)?
    >
    > If it is not possible and you can tell me this for sure, I would be happy
    > with it because I only need a good reason for or against this question.
    >
    > Are there any tools which can retrieve the information I mentionded above?
    >
    > If yes, please tell me the name of this tool(s).
    >
    > I hope sombody can answer this question.

    > tx Martin Meier

    Ok, I'll take a stab at it, but likely this will not be a satisfactory
    answer.   Most of this will be guesses, as I am not an industry insider
    nor do I have the training.   If you learn more or interested in further
    research, please get in touch.

    Any way, here goes...

    Modern GSM based phones (Well, where "phone" == "Nokia phone") allow you
    to store data, such as phone number in two locations - on the SIM chip,
    and on the phone itself.  Older phones only supported storage of phone
    numbers on the SIM card.

    There exist SIM readers (search e-bay, you'll find a bunch) that will
    allow you to read and write data on the SIM card, but I don't have one on
    hands at the moment, so I don't know what parts of the SIM the reader can
    actually access.

    SIM cards tend to be are of different levels of sophistication
    (with European ones more sophisticated then ones we have in North
    America) however the modern ones would consist of something like:

    Component: Infineon SLE66CX32OS
    Processor : 16 or 8 bit CPU with I/O and security Logic
    EEPROM memory: 32 Kbytes
    ROM: 32 Kbytes
    RAM: 1280 bytes

    (Specs from http://www.setec.fi/techdocs/eSIM_022002.pdf)

    This tends to meet the requirements from the folks like Open Card
    <http://www.opencard.org/>  and Java Card
    <http://java.sun.com/products/javacard/>.

    http://www.gemplus.com/products/gemxplore_xpresso_range/
    is a SIM card product of a different SIM card manufacturer (Megafon in
    Russia uses these, I beleive).

    Some data will likely be recoverable from the card, as phone numbers are
    generally not considered to be secure/secret, however the contents of the
    secure part of the card (Nokia applications such as 'Vallet' utilize
    these, I believe) would likely be encrypted.  I haven't followed up and
    researched what Visa Open Platform specification actually specifies.

    Currently I don't know if the data gets fully zeroed out or just marked as
    deleted.  However I suspect that recovery is possible.

    Now onwards to the phones.  Nokias tend to be ARMv7 based
    (http://dara.notbsd.org/nokia/ has some photographs of the older low end
    phones' insides,there  you can see that the CPU inside is an ASIC) and
    at least the older ones use flash memory to store the NokiaOS (the Intel
    chip).  Note that I have not a faintest clue about the recent Symbian
    based Nokia phones or about more modern Nokias.

    Generally Nokia phones support two undocumented interfaces M2BUS (commonly
    known as MBUS) and FBUS.  One tends to be used to program the phone, read
    off phone book entries, re-set the provider locks, etc, while the other
    one is used to re-flash the OS.  More information at Nuukia world:
    http://www.panuworld.net/nuukiaworld/hardware/cables/index.htm

    MBUS and FBUS are both undocumented protocols, and Nokia is not talking.
    There might be ways to copy the slack space from the phone book on the
    phone, but I do not yet know of them.

    I have the technology to read (and write) the image off most older Intel
    flash chips, so one thing that has been on my plate for a while now is to
    sacrifise a phone by first reading the data off it through Fbus/Mbus
    interface, and then de-solder the chip and use the flash reader to read
    the image off, and compare the two.   Obviously second read would be much
    more comprehensive then the first one, however phones that can store the
    phone numbers on board are relatively new and relatively expensive, and
    the experiment is rather destructive, so so far I've been holding off.

    So I'd suspect that you would have to sacrifise the phone in order to
    learn what got deleted.

    Once again, alot of the above is pure speculation, so corrections and more
    information is  really welcome.

    Signed:
    //Stany
    --
    +-------+ Stanislav N Vardomskiy - Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis[TM] +-------+
    | "Backups we have; it's restores that we find tricky." Richard Letts at ASR  |