RE: Waste, Fraud, Abuse

From: s.cappendellat_private
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 09:57:05 PDT

    I had similar requirements and solved them by using a Proxy (Squid)
    which requires http authentication.

    Here's what I did:
    In order to reduce the nuber of passwords needed, I ensured we could
    authenticate against our Novell server by exporting the NDS via an LDAP
    Gateway.
    I used an LDAP auth module for squid which first checks if the user is
    in the group "internet" on the Novell Server (Through an LDAP query) if
    this is the case it then tries an LDAP bind as the given user. A
    successful authentication lets the Internet usage go ahead.
    I believe there are also modules for active directory, Windows DC,
    radius and so on.
    It is possible to set a rather long string as the http login "Realm"
    information for squid and here I entered a long explanation informing
    the person logging in of what was being logged and how long we keep the
    information. Including a statement that the act of logging in means
    acceptance of these conditions. The realm information is displayed (at
    least in the IE) directly above the login fields.
    The rest is easy, readily available tools such as sqrmgrlog will
    process=

    the squid log info into html pages that will allow you to see EXACTLY
    when internet access occured and who looked at what. In fact you'll
    probably find that your HR people may be a bit uncomfortable with the
    amount of info you've got.
    Since everyone has to authenticate to use the system it doesn't matter
    a=

    hoot from which PC they surfed from and you can easily set parameters
    on=

    the proxy to require renewed authentication after a given number of
    minutes of non-usage.
    This level of control generally require agreement between the workforce
    and management, so i'd advise caution and consultation.

    S.Cappendell

    =2D----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----