RE: Inside PIX?

From: Andrew J. Luca (andrew.lucaat_private)
Date: Sun May 17 1998 - 12:23:38 PDT

    I believe that this product came from a company called PIX in the first
    place.  When Cisco takes and IOS-ifies an acquired box, they often just
    change the commands to look more like the traditional IOS commands as
    possible.  Look at the LightStream, Crescendo, Grand Junction, (the list
    goes on) devices just to get an idea of this.  I don't think that what is in
    the box matters.  Just how it does it's job.  Cisco has been pushing - just
    as other manufacturers have - away from proprietary architectures as
    possible.  They even released a router platform about eighteen months ago
    which uses a PCI based bus for interface cards (7200 platform).

    Just my opinion - I don't work for Cisco.

    Drew