Re: Inside PIX?

From: Adam Shostack (adamat_private)
Date: Sun May 17 1998 - 00:21:12 PDT

    	Just an FYI, at interop there was a startup called NetScreen
    with a box they claimed could do wire speed packet filtering at 100mbs
    on custom hardware.  (Spec sheet says "100 mpbs wire speed, any packet
    size, with simultaenous advanced firewall rules (200 rules) and VPN
    encryption (IPSEC).)

    	I'd be very interested to hear about any experiences with
    this; they seem to be pushing the enevelope of whats available as an
    appliance.  (Sub-$10k for the 100mbs box, sub 5 for a 10megabit
    system)

    Adam

    Tony Schliesser wrote:
    | Every  firewall appliance product I have seen uses PC hardware
    | (usually P5 200).
    |
    | Nothing wrong with it -- and I guess expected.
    |
    | Tony

    					               -Hume