DMZ design - Exchange, SQL, & DCOM

From: Michael Borkin (borkinat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 02:53:14 PST

    ------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01BF6ED4.20B94C80

    I have been called upon to re-design an existing network to allow the =
    hosting of a web and e-mail server.  It is a pure Microsoft network =
    (95/98, NT, and W2K) that will incorporate a checkpoint FW-1 firewall =
    (actually VPN-1) as part of the design.  My main questions at this point =
    have to do with the DMZ, what belongs there, and how to connect it to =
    the firewall and the internet.  The connection to the internet will come =
    in over an SDSL router (brand unknown at this time), but from there I =
    have gotten conflicting advice. =20

    Should all traffic be passed back to the firewall which will have 3-nic =
    cards (1- Internet, 2- DMZ, 3- Internal network), or should the router =
    itself have two ethernet ports (1- Firewall, 2- DMZ) and the firewall =
    only have two nic cards (1- Internet, 2- Internal Network) as well?  The =
    argument for the 3-card configuration is that logging is better that =
    way.  Meanwhile, the 2+2 argument is to keep as little traffic from =
    being able to flow into and through the firewall machine as possible for =
    both overhead and security reasons.  I am leaning towards the 3-card =
    configuration based on the fact that it is the recommendation from =
    Checkpoint (or at least their vendors), but I would like to know if =
    anyone has any opinions before I decide.  As for the machines in the =
    DMZ, other than the web server itself (IIS 4.0) I am not sure which ones =
    need to reside there and which need to be placed on the internal network =
    for the best security configuration.  Below is described the main =
    services that I am concerned with at the moment.

    E-mail is currently handled by an Exchange Server, but is also used for =
    services besides just internet e-mail such as public folders and =
    internal company mail.  One person therefore recommended setting up an =
    SMTP box in the DMZ and having it dedicated to relaying internet based =
    e-mail from the outside back through the firewall (and vice-versa) to =
    protect the other information on the Exchange server.  That sounded good =
    to me, but later when I was discussing this with another person I got a =
    totally different opinion.  He said it was a bad idea to let another box =
    handle the e-mail and that to have the Exchange box on the internal =
    network would cause me to have to punch huge holes in the firewall to =
    let certain services through.  Therefore, the Exchange box needed to =
    reside in the DMZ rather than behind it.  What he said really didn't =
    make sense to me, because I would think that it would be having the =
    Exchange server in the DMZ that would cause me to have to punch holes =
    rather than the other way around.  But, just because I don't understand =
    his reasoning doesn't mean he is incorrect especially since he knows a =
    lot more about firewalling than I do, so I ask which is the better way =
    to go?

    Next, is that the web server uses dynamic html for much of the website =
    content.  This leverages both a SQL server and DCOM programming built =
    through Visual InterDev to deliver the content to the web server.  This =
    is where it really goes over my head at the moment, if it was just SQL =
    server then I know to place it on the inside and let the calls from the =
    web server come back through the firewall.  However from what I have =
    been told by a developer, DCOM uses dynamic port allocation when =
    establishing a stateful connection (although from what I have read it =
    uses udp, so I don't know why there should be a stateful connection).  I =
    honestly don't understand enough to know where the DCOM part of the =
    process sits (although I am guessing it is on the web rather than the =
    database server), and whether this means that I have to open up a port =
    range for DCOM to work properly or to move the SQL server out to the DMZ =
    (neither of which sounds like a good idea to me).  Also, I am not sure =
    about what ports or rules would need to be incorporated to get this to =
    function as securely as possible if everything other than the web server =
    resides behind the firewall.

    If anyone could either point me towards reference material and/or give =
    me advice about how the DMZ portion of the network should be setup based =
    on the factors explained above it will be greatly appreciated.  If you =
    need any further information before making a suggestion or =
    recommendation, please feel free to contact me either on or off list and =
    I will be more than glad to do what I can to fill in the gaps. =20

    Thanks,

    Mike

    ------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01BF6ED4.20B94C80

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>

    http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have been called upon to re-design an existing =
    network to=20
    allow the hosting of a web and e-mail server.&nbsp; It is a pure =
    Microsoft=20
    network (95/98, NT, and W2K) that will incorporate a checkpoint FW-1 =
    firewall=20
    (actually VPN-1) as part of the design.&nbsp; My main questions at this =
    point=20
    have to do with the DMZ, what belongs there, and how to connect it to =
    the=20
    firewall and the internet.&nbsp; The connection to the internet will =
    come in=20
    over an SDSL router (brand unknown at this time), but from there I have =
    gotten=20
    conflicting advice.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Should all traffic be passed back to the firewall =
    which will=20
    have 3-nic cards (1- Internet, 2- DMZ, 3- Internal network), or should =
    the=20
    router itself have two ethernet ports (1- Firewall, 2- DMZ) and the =
    firewall=20
    only have two nic cards (1- Internet, 2- Internal Network) as =
    well?&nbsp; The=20
    argument for the 3-card configuration is that logging is better that =
    way.&nbsp;=20
    Meanwhile, the 2+2 argument is to keep as little traffic from being able =
    to flow=20
    into and through the firewall machine as possible for both overhead and =
    security=20
    reasons.&nbsp; I am leaning towards the 3-card configuration based on =
    the fact=20
    that it is the recommendation from Checkpoint (or at least their =
    vendors), but I=20
    would like to know if anyone has any opinions before I decide.&nbsp;=20
    </FONT><FONT size=3D2>As for the machines in the DMZ, other than the web =
    server=20
    itself (IIS 4.0) I am not sure which ones need to reside there and which =
    need to=20
    be placed on the internal network for the best security =
    configuration.&nbsp;=20
    Below is described the main services that I am concerned with at the=20
    moment.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>E-mail is currently handled by an Exchange Server, =
    but is also=20
    used for services besides just internet e-mail such as public folders =
    and=20
    internal company mail.&nbsp; One person therefore recommended setting up =
    an SMTP=20
    box in the DMZ and having it dedicated to relaying internet based e-mail =
    from=20
    the outside back through the firewall (and vice-versa) to protect the =
    other=20
    information on the Exchange server.&nbsp; That sounded good to me, but =
    later=20
    when I was discussing this with another person I got a totally different =

    opinion.&nbsp; He said it was a bad idea to let another box handle the =
    e-mail=20
    and that to have the Exchange box on the internal network would cause me =
    to have=20
    to punch huge holes in the firewall to let certain services =
    through.&nbsp;=20
    Therefore, the Exchange box needed to reside in the DMZ rather than =
    behind=20
    it.&nbsp; What he said really didn't make sense to me, because I would =
    think=20
    that it would be having the Exchange server in the DMZ that would cause =
    me to=20
    have to punch holes rather than the other way around.&nbsp; But, just =
    because I=20
    don't understand his reasoning doesn't mean he is incorrect especially =
    since he=20
    knows a lot more about firewalling than I do, so I ask which is the =
    better way=20
    to go?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Next, is that the web server uses dynamic html for =
    much of the=20
    website content.&nbsp; This leverages both a SQL server and DCOM =
    programming=20
    built through Visual InterDev to deliver the content to the web =
    server.&nbsp;=20
    This is where it really goes over my head at the moment, if it was just =
    SQL=20
    server then I know to place it on the inside and let the calls from the =
    web=20
    server come back through the firewall.&nbsp; However from what I have =
    been told=20
    by a developer, DCOM uses dynamic port allocation when establishing a =
    stateful=20
    connection (although from what I have read it uses udp, so I don't know =
    why=20
    there should be a stateful connection).&nbsp; I honestly don't =
    understand enough=20
    to know where the DCOM part of the process sits (although I am guessing =
    it is on=20
    the web rather than the database server), and whether this means that I =
    have to=20
    open up a port range for DCOM to work properly or to move the SQL server =
    out to=20
    the DMZ (neither of which sounds like a good idea to me).&nbsp; Also, I =
    am not=20
    sure about what ports or rules would need to be incorporated to get this =
    to=20
    function as securely as possible if everything other than the web server =
    resides=20
    behind the firewall.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>If anyone could either point me =
    towards=20
    reference material and/or give me advice about how the DMZ portion of =
    the=20
    network should be setup based on the factors explained above it will be =
    greatly=20
    appreciated.&nbsp; If you need any further information before making a=20
    suggestion or recommendation, please feel free to contact me either on =
    or off=20
    list and I will be more than glad to do what I can to fill in the =
    gaps.&nbsp;=20
    </FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Mike</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01BF6ED4.20B94C80--