Re: DMZ design - Exchange, SQL, & DCOM

From: Jack Dingler (jdinglerat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 12:31:34 PST

    The three card configuration is safer.  With it, you can protect your
    public servers from hackers and if they do happen to get through, you
    can protect you internal network from your DMZ.

    Exchange Server?  I'll let someone else bite on that one.

    DCOM?  This can't be secured.  DCOM can run on multiple protocols unless
    it's running from a  95 or 98 client, then it has to be TCP/IP.  If it's
    running on udp, then the DCOM subsystem maintains the state, even though
    it's running over a stateless protocol.  Remember, IP is stateless, but
    TCP adds state to it through an additional layer.

    One of the biggest security problems with DCOM, is that fact that it
    connects initially on port 135.  This is the Remote Process Control
    port, and it's not the only service that can be accessed through this
    port.  After a multi-packet negotiation, DCOM then reconnects at some
    high port, who's range is defined by registry entries, and defaults to
    1024 > Port <= 65535.  Any FireWall that is filtering DCOM, must watch
    the negotiation to see which port is being opened, in order to open up
    the appropriate port.  Otherwise, you have to open a range of ports, and
    hope that trojans haven't been installed on your servers, listening in
    the same range.

    If you're running NT with DCOM, then DCOM will actually try multiple
    protocols to get through.  You can view the protocols using DCOMCNG.  If
    the client fails with one protocol, then it will try another.  So it may
    try UDP on 135, then TCP on 135 then switch to NetBEUI on 139.  It will
    also attempt to tunnel protocols over other protocols.  It's a sneaky
    protocol in practice.

    If your clients are connecting through DCOM, then you definitely want
    your DCOM server on the DMZ.

    If a DMZ server is communicating from the DMZ into your internal network
    using DCOM, then you may be a little safer, but I wouldn't feel secure
    about it.

    Jack Dingler