RE: DMZ design - Exchange, SQL, & DCOM

From: Henry Sieff (hsieffat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 13:45:24 PST

    You really need to weigh the risks, imo.

    > The reason for the separate DMZ is that you don't want to expose
    > your mail forwarder to your web server. The risk that someone
    > will hack your web server through the firewall is much greater
    > than the risk of someone hacking your mail forwarder through the
    > firewall. However, with the two placed on the same LAN, hacking
    > the mail forwarder most likely becomes a simple task.

    No; if you have properly hardened both boxen, it shouldn't really be an
    issue. Your mailforwarder can be set to refuse connections from other
    machines in the DMZ (it realy should only talk to your internal mail server
    and to the DMZ NIC anyways.) I mean, if you REALLY want to, you can set up
    separate DMZ's for all components, but IMO your adding administrative
    overhead and cost without gaining much by way of security.

    > Also, by placing the mail forwarder in a separate DMZ, you
    > can be reasonably sure that the SMTP traffic going into
    > your exchange server is actually coming from the mail forwarder,
    > and not from the web server doing some serious IP and/or
    > MAC spoofing.

    If someone gains that degree of access to your web server (to the point
    where they could start spoofing ip and mac addresses), you're pretty screwed
    already; SMTP relay hijacking will be the least of your worries.

    Henry