Re: DMZ design - Exchange, SQL, & DCOM

From: Michael Borkin (borkinat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 02:09:58 PST

    Bill,

    Thanks again for all your help and the references.  There is nothing like
    being in totally over your head on something as important and complicated as
    this and I really appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right
    directions.

        <snip>

            The firewall doesn't know anything about what goes on in the DMZ.
    The firewall
            only knows about what tries to pass through its interfaces.

        </snip>

    That's what I thought was the case, and I figured you had just switched
    contexts from placing the SQL server in the DMZ to placing it on the
    internal network when you started talking about using IPX or NetBeui to pass
    info through the firewall, but I wanted to ask just to make sure.

        <snip>

            BTW what firewall are you going to be using?

      </snip>

    Checkpoint's FW-1 (VPN-1) on an NT base.  I've heard its one of the best,
    but this choice is totally out of my hands.

    Thanks again for all your help

    Mike