RE: Cisco configuration question

From: Andrew J. Luca (andrewlucaat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 07:13:59 PST

    Michael,

    	I think that part of your problem might be that if you are using an
    Exchange Client (like Outlook) it is going to be trying to use UDP to
    connect to the server.  At least it is going to be trying to interrogate the
    server using UDP before connecting.  There is a small app called RPCping32
    which Microsoft supplies on the Exchange Server CDs which you can use to
    test connectivity.  Put this onto the server and run the client from the
    local network.  If it works, then the problem is with the router which is
    what I suspect that you will find.

    	Having UDP allowed -- especially in the port range that you will have to
    allow to make this work (unless you can use an adaptive filtering strategy),
    is not such a great idea but you have to decide how important this is to
    you.

    Just my opinion
    Drew