Re: Recent Attacks

From: Paul D. Robertson (probertsat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 17:09:17 PST

    On Sun, 20 Feb 100, Darren Reed wrote:

    > So are you suggesting that perhaps it is time software such as ISS, etc,
    > to not only be made available with strict controls over which targets
    > they can be used against (article about this went to bugtraq some time
    > ago) but also be required for those buying the product/license keys
    > in order to undertake such work ?  I think this is almost a inevitable.
    > I can't see why professionals would object to this - every `respectable'
    > procession has some sort of official "badging" which is required before
    > you practice in it.

    I think it'll be as effective as export control of cryptographic software.

    > I'd go so far to say that if Joe Bloggs from the back blocks of Kansas
    > bought ISS (who knows why) and got a license get for, say, 208.196.*
    > and loaded it up on their new internet PC, you'd be about as happy as
    > someone walking outside that grey area with a weapon in your personal
    > space.  (Well, ok, you probably pay someone who'd be upset about ISS
    > being used like that, rather than you :-)

    Anyone can buy a lathe, stock steel, etc.  Packet generators are much
    easier to build than reliable accurate firearms (especially without
    trace.)  I'm not saying the laws won't go there, I'm just questioning the
    effectiveness of doing so.

    "I'll give up my compiler when they pry my cold dead superblock from the
    root fs."

    Viruses have *clearly* cost more money over time, and yet I don't see the
    same outroar there.  I'm not sure if that's due to market dynamics (it's a
    good business to be in the "antivirus" vendor space), or if it's something
    else, or maybe the sentencing this week is the start of that?

    Paul
    (But then people walking around me with firearms doesn't upset me as long
    as they aren't pointing them at me.)
    Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
    probertsat_private      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                         PSB#9280