Re: Recent Attacks

From: Paul D. Robertson (probertsat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 06:53:48 PST

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Transistor Sister wrote:

    > What I am finding more and more is that ISPs are less and less willing to
    > disclose any information about their customers. For example, I work for a

    They don't have to close it if they clean it up.

    > them that they had potentially been compromised and to inquire about this
    > ISP's acceptible use policy. It has been 12 days, and still my request has

    All major service providers have abuse departments.  It's normally not
    that difficult to get hold of a human at one of them as long as you're not
    demanding information they don't have to give you.

    > gone unanswered after a series of more requests and ranting. Now I am told
    > that this information will not be relased to me unless my company issues a
    > subpoena for it.

    This is normal, and a part of our current legal climate where the ISP may
    be sued by their customer for violating privacy laws if they release
    information.  ISPs have to have disclosure policies and they tend to be
    one-size-fits-all these days.

    Paul
    Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
    probertsat_private      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                         PSB#9280