Re: Recent Attacks

From: Paul D. Robertson (probertsat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 06:49:13 PST

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Ryan Russell wrote:

    > > And E-trade, where *timing* matters a lot to their customers?
    > >
    > > 		--Steve Bellovin
    >
    > For E-trade, it makes a lot more sense that business would be lost that
    > would happen then and only then (well, mostly... I'm sure some folks will
    > still sell even after the stock dropped below what they meant to sell at.)

    But then the damages aren't just to E*Trade, they're to their customers
    too.  Even if they still sell, they've lost real money.

    > It makes sense to punish the attacker exta on behalf of the customers of
    > E-trade *IFF* E-Trade does something along those lines for normal outages.

    Why the if?  The law shouldn't care about "normal" policy, it should care
    about the results of the illegal action.

    > (I think they've had some, and I don't think they did anything for the
    > customers, did they?  Hmm..lesse, our click-wrap agreement says "Screw
    > You.")

    Irrelevent under the law as I understand it (which isn't all that well I
    suppose.)

    > All I want is for prosecutors, judges, and law enforcement to put some
    > intelligent thought into what the damages really were.  I still say the
    > attacker couldn't have done 1.2B in damages, and that's the "crucifixtion"
    > dollar amount.

    Bad market day, people trying to get out of positions at pre-set ammounts
    or as soon as possible - yeah, 1.2B isn't that difficult to reach in those
    conditions.

    > If someone decides that mapping out the Internet to produce nice-looking
    > graphs constitutes a criminal port-scanning attack, you would want to have
    > someone force the prosecutors to name reasonable damages, right?  You

    (You're picking on the wrong one.)

    Paul
    Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
    probertsat_private      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                         PSB#9280