revised paper on the Bro network-intrusion detection system

From: Vern Paxson (vernat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 01:36:35 PST

    A revised version of the Bro paper, which appears in Computer
    Networks 31(23-24), Dec. 1999, is now available from:

    	ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/bro-CN99.ps.gz

    It has a number of tweaks over the USENIX version, none major, but together
    totalling a medium-grade revision.  I've appended the abstract.

    		Vern

    Bro: A System for Detecting Network Intruders in Real-Time

    Vern Paxson

    Network Research Group, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory   and
    AT&T Center for Internet Research at ICSI (ACIRI)
    vernat_private

    We describe Bro, a stand-alone system for detecting network intruders in
    real-time by passively monitoring a network link over which the intruder's
    traffic transits.  We give an overview of the system's design, which
    emphasizes high-speed (FDDI-rate) monitoring, real-time notification, clear
    separation between mechanism and policy, and extensibility.  To achieve
    these ends, Bro is divided into an ``event engine'' that reduces a
    kernel-filtered network traffic stream into a series of higher-level
    events, and a ``policy script interpreter'' that interprets event handlers
    written in a specialized language used to express a site's security
    policy.  Event handlers can update state information, synthesize new
    events, record information to disk, and generate real-time notifications
    via syslog.  We also discuss a number of attacks that attempt to subvert
    passive monitoring systems and defenses against these, and give particulars
    of how Bro analyzes the six applications integrated into it so far:
    Finger, FTP, Portmapper, Ident, Telnet and Rlogin.  The system is publicly
    available in source code form.