Re: Recent Attacks

From: Darren Reed (darrenrat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1969 - 15:59:59 PST

    In some email I received from Paul D. Robertson, sie wrote:
    [...]
    > Viruses have *clearly* cost more money over time, and yet I don't see the
    > same outroar there.  I'm not sure if that's due to market dynamics (it's a
    > good business to be in the "antivirus" vendor space), or if it's something
    > else, or maybe the sentencing this week is the start of that?

    Viruses are a problem which can be `managed'.  They're `damage' is also
    localized in effect - a pc here or there and aren't exactly something
    which is high profile.  Keep backups of important data, etc, and you're
    relatively safe.  What's more, if you turn the computer off, the virus
    dies with it.

    Knocking out www.amazon.com for X hours, effects an entire company.
    It's visible to everyone who tries to do business with them.  If they
    turn their web servers off, the attack still runs.

    But these attacks do more than that.  They also, with their publicity,
    suggest that perhaps the Internet isn't the most fabulous place to be
    generating new business.  With all the billions of dollars put into
    the Internet, the last thing a lot of people want to feel is that it's
    wasted money or even at risk with no long term way of protecting people
    from the DDoS attaks.

    Darren