Re: Recent Attacks

From: Michael Cassidy (cassidyat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 09:21:48 PST

    At 10:01 PM -0800 2/19/00, Ryan Russell wrote:
    >> So are you suggesting that perhaps it is time software such as ISS, etc,
    >> to not only be made available with strict controls over which targets
    >> they can be used against (article about this went to bugtraq some time
    >> ago) but also be required for those buying the product/license keys
    >> in order to undertake such work ?  I think this is almost a inevitable.
    >> I can't see why professionals would object to this - every `respectable'
    >> procession has some sort of official "badging" which is required before
    >> you practice in it.
    >
    >Because then if I want to write a tool, I have to take on the
    >responsibility of serial numbering, licensing, probably some sort of
    >insurance, etc.. which means I can't do it for free anymore, can't release
    >source...
    >
    >It's going to squash the little guys.
    >
    >It may in fact be inevitable, but it sucks.

    i doubt this will happen.

    first, this would seem to attack the open code/freeware movement that is
    gathering steam.

    second, it would *not* stop people from writing their own code; many times
    the hard part [tedious part] of writing code for sale [distribution] is
    covering all the things a user who isnt you will do to explode your code.
    if you are the only person using the code, it can be very quick&dirty and
    at this moment there are alot of people who can write quick&dirty code that
    can scan ports etc.

    michael

                           www.panix.com\~cassidy