Re: [fw-wiz] SANS Top Ten and Commercial Firewalls

From: Devdas Bhagat (dvbat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 08:44:41 PDT

    On 04/10/02 10:21 -0400, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
    >
    > > > (A) Project history- Postfix and Qmail have held up well, proftpd erm,
    > > > hasn't.  I haven't followed the other two, since FTP is on my list of "Horribly
    > > > broken protocols I'll never support."
    > > I'll agree wuith this. Proftpd has not had a showstopping bug except for
    > > a DOS due to globbing (IIRC). There have been minor bugs, but none of
    >
    > Just after Flood dropped the project I seem to recall a spate of exploits,
    > one after another[1].  Looking back, I count 3 definite root exploits, a
    > couple of other issues that'd make me not want to put it in a hostile
    > environment.
    Aaah, I picked it up after the bugs were fixed. Not before that.
    Wasn't required to (senior people were happy wuith wu-ftpd).

    > Personally, I'd have looked at one I hadn't run before, or the BSD one,
    > which has only had a couple of issues in the last few years, and I don't
    > think any of them were unique to that instance.
    I had very little experience then. Have a little bit more now.

    > > them were the security kind.
    > > I haven't runa ftpd for quite some time, and when I was looking (about
    > > Nov/Dec 2000), proftpd was the best choice due to its easy config and
    > > relative security. Current status is a wholly differnt issue.
    >
    > Personally, I'd look elsewhere given the history (and that's not saying it
    > hasn't been fixed, it's saying I don't trust the original goal of security
    > in the design given it's lack of compliance with that goal.)  I'll give
    > you "easy to config," bedause it met that goal quite well, but in Nov of
    > 2000, it was just done with a raft of expliots, bugs and a change of
    > maintainership- none of them particularly confidence insprining in my
    > opinion.
    Didn't know that at that time. I'll admit to being guilty on that count.

    > > > (B) Look at the code.
    > > This always works, but its a question of time on the security people's
    > > part.
    >
    > Yes, but if you never do it, you'll never get time budgeted for it.  I
    > used to do per-protocol risk assessments for weeks before allowing or
    > disallowing anything new- sometimes it wasn't overly necessary, it was
    > *obvious* that the answer was going to be no, but doing some of those
    > anyway got the organization in tune with "new stuff takes weeks of
    > examination."
    Not in todays world in a whole lot of places. Seems like marketing
    drives the whole system. Sad but true.

    > >  > > (C) Developer history.
    > > Good stance to go by for first filtering.
    >
    > People used to grep for "Vixie" to find exploits.  Sad, but true.
    I know. I saw a few posts somewhere for Bind 9's security saying that.

    > > > (D) Developer's understanding of the protocol and its weaknesses.
    > > Difficult to judge rapidly. Since the weaknesses are usually at the
    > > boundaries. Also, the developers understanding of the language used.
    >
    > In that case use it in reverse, add points to those who can and do
    > articulate it well.
    You need to know what the developer says/does. Ahem.... DJB.

    [OT] Can we please follow the LKML rule that if there is no specific
    request for an offlist reply, then the reply should go only to the list?
    I am on the list.

    Devdas Bhagat.