Re: [fw-wiz] Proverbial appliance vs software based firewall

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olssonat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 11:31:17 PDT

    Dominic Malig wrote:

    > [...] appliance vs software firewall 'which is better' [...]

    Given that we tout both software packages and appliances, I think I
    can authoratively say that there is virtually zero difference between
    the concepts.  For _our_ stuff, the only difference is that we know
    beforehand that the software works reasonably well with the hardware.

    So, a generalistic discussion about software/appliance is
    pretty much a moot point.

    Now, if you want to discuss pros and cons of software/appliance for
    specific firewall vendors, I'm sure we can come up with more
    interesting points.  For instance, I believe that most people will
    get a more secure solution if they buy FW-1 on a Nokia box, rather
    than setting FW-1 up on Solaris, or (horror!) NT for that matter.
    Why?  I believe Nokia does a good job of hardening their boxes; likely
    a better job than most people can do hardening Solaris/NT boxes. That is
    not to say that someone really clueful can't harden a Solaris box better,
    given enough time, but that's generally speaking not the case.

    On the other hand, I'd say that f.i. FW-1/Gauntlet/Raptor on NT has
    better chances of securing your network properly than, for instance,
    a "Netgear broadband router with firewall functionality", even though
    the latter is an appliance.

    ... want me to keep ranting? :)

    /Mikael

    --
    Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
    Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

    "Senex semper diu dormit"