Re: [fw-wiz] RE: Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: Richard Sharpe (rsharpeat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 13:11:11 PDT

    On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Mikael Olsson wrote:

    > Bill Royds wrote:
    > >
    > > The netbios Name query/response packets are in the same format as DNS
    > > query/response packets, just on port 137 instead of 53
    >
    > *ding*
    >
    > They're not even remotely related.
    >
    > Do a dump of a netbios name query and you'll see a string like
    > "IJDFYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
    > where each letter is one nibble (4 bits), plus 'A' (which means
    > that each "AA" pair is in fact a representation of NUL.)
    >
    > Do a dump of a DNS query and you'll see a string like
    > "www.bustyvixens.com" umm .. ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmicrosoft.com"

    Hmmm, I don't want to make a lot of game-show like noises, but there are
    similarities between DNS requests and NetBIOS name requests, however, the
    RFC1001/RFC1002 people did choose a really weird encoding for names.

    For more information on NetBIOS name requests, I would suggest that you
    look at the excellent documentation at ubiqx.org/cifs.

    Regards
    -----
    Richard Sharpe, rsharpeat_private, rsharpeat_private,
    sharpeat_private, http://www.richardsharpe.com