Re: [fw-wiz] RE: Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: Miha Vitorovic (mihaat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 15:32:15 PDT

    >Not logging 137/udp is a good idea because it fills up the logs and does
    >not add any significant information to them.

    Hi all,

    Reading this thread, I notice something funny. Everyone says that logging
    blocked UDP 137 adds no useful information, and I understand where this is
    coming from. Windows boxes are so noisy when it comes to netbios, that it
    is best to just ignore it, or you'd have to worry about every misconfigured
    firewall out there.

     But on the other hand, this whole thread began with:
    "I noticed an unusual increase in the amount packets coming for port 137"
    or something to that effect. Seems like some useful information can still
    come from logging it. In light of that, what do you think? Log less or
    more?

    Regards,
    ---
      Miha Vitorovic
      Inženir v tehničnem področju
      Customer Support Engineer

       NIL Data Communications,  Einspielerjeva 6,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
       Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si